Tuesday, March 17, 2009

A crazy few days....

Well, Olivia didn't make much progress over the weekend. In fact, she went downhill and we ended up back in the Beaumont ER on Sunday. She went from eating 4 oz regularly prior to Thursday, to 3-4 ounces per feed on Thursday and Friday and then to only 1-2 ounces per feed by Sunday. She was extremely lethargic as well and I thought she was running fever. I called the pediatrician and he made me bring her in.

Within 30 minutes of being here, we were told that Olivia would be admitted for IV antibiotics. Still we sat in the ER for 7 hours while they did some blood work and an ultrasound. The ER doctor contacted Dr. Chan who happened to be out riding his motorcycle. Twenty minutes after being called he was at her bedside attempting to drain the lump/cyst. At that point, it was still debatable whether we were working with a brachial cleft cyst or an infected lymph node. Dr. Chan was only able to aspirate a little fluid...thank goodness enough to test though. IV antibiotics were started and we were moved to a room on the pediatrics unit.

Almost immediately Olivia started to perk up. Her eating was better on Sunday night but then regressed again yesterday. We found out today that Olivia has a Staph infection. We're not sure how she got it and they are still testing the susceptibility to determine which antibiotics are best to treat it, but I am relieved we finally know what's going on. We'll have more answers tomorrow and the docs may try oral antibiotics (a VERY high dose) tomorrow afternoon. If Olivia can tolerate them, she may be able to come home Wednesday night or sometime Thursday. She'll be on antibiotics for a while and she'll need to see the Infectious Disease doctor, Pediatric Surgeon (in case the lump is drainable in the future) and Opthamologist (for her possible lazy eye). Like I said, I'll update more tomorrow. I'm exhausted and have to work in the morning. In the meantime:

http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/bacterial_viral/staphylococcus.html

No comments: